Auslan in the Workplace: Albury/Wodonga City Council & Partners (by invitation only)
- Event Date
- November 13, 2017 - January 15, 2018
- LibraryMuseum Meeting Room 2, 540 Kiewa St, Albury NSW 2640
Thanks to a grant from Australia Post, Vicdeaf, in partnership with Deaf Sports Australia will provide Auslan classes to the Albury Wodonga City Council staff and partners in preparation for the Australia Deaf Games (ADG) coming to Albury Wodonga in January 2018.
Sign Language One
- Your Auslan Teacher will be Deaf.
- You will be learning a visual language.
- Your Auslan Teacher will demonstrate how to sign and for you to follow.
- Classroom will not be based on auditory learning.
- You will receive a new handbook for each class.
- There is no assessment for this Auslan course.
- Class will run for 2 hours and you will get a 15 minutes break in between.
- Small activity/game on the new signs you have learnt. This can be in pairs or in a group activity.
You will learn expressive and receptive signing skills and practice every day signs for use in basic conversations with Deaf people. You will also learn about Deaf culture.
Sign Language One Outline:
Week 1: The alphabets, fingerspelling, numbers, introduction and greetings
Week 2: Revisit signs from week 1, family, emotion, food and drink signs
Week 3: Revisit signs from week 2, colour, clothing and home signs
Week 4: Revisit signs from week 3, people, relationship and action signs
Week 5: Revisit signs from week 4, time, months and money signs
Week 6: Revisit signs from week 5, descriptive signs, weather, sports, recreation and hobby signs
In our practical and fun classes you will learn how to fingerspell, develop a vocabulary of basic conversational signs, learn how to structure a sentence and more.