Royal Commission into Sexual Abuse

We have provided some information in Auslan about how you can make a statement for the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

There is a Royal Commission about sexual abuse of children. It wants to know about what happened. It is only for sexual abuse that happened in an ‘institutional context’. This means a church, school, scouts etc. Not your family or friends.

The Commission can accept your experiences by email or handwriting.

To help the Commission understand the best way to hear about your personal experiences you will need to tell them :

  • your contact details,
  • the name and location of the institution
  • when the event(s) happened

You can tell them your name but ask them to keep it secret, or you can keep your name secret but you need to say why you want it secret.

Someone can help you write your statement or you can contact the Royal Commission for this help on the commission website –

There are some questions to help you to think about what to write. The Intake Worker at Vicdeaf can also help with this.

After the Royal Commission gets your statement they will write to you and let you know.

The Commission maybe will want you to give formal evidence. They will contact you to talk to you about it. You do not have to give evidence; only if you say ‘yes’. They cannot make you.

You can ask for a private session.  Usually with one or two Commissioners. This is less formal than a hearing. A support person can be with you.

All of this is your choice.

To register:-

Write to:

Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
GPO Box 5283
Sydney NSW 2001


For help with writing a statement:-

Have a look at ‘Practice Guideline 3’:


Visit the Vicdeaf Intake Worker:

Vicdeaf , Level 4, 340 Albert Street, East Melbourne

The Intake worker is available on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9.30am - 2.30pm.

No appointment is necessary.


knowmore have provided this information:

knowmore is an independent service giving free legal advice to people who are considering telling their story or providing information to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Do you want to talk to knowmore?

Free advice line: 1800 605 762

Hours: Mon – Fri
9am to 5pm (EST)