James Beams Scholarship
The James Beams Scholarship was established via the kind bequest of Mr James Beams of Launceston who died in 1994. The scholarship was originally awarded yearly for up to $5,000 toward study for any young Tasmanian based person up to the age of 25. The first recipient was Josie Hodgetts in 1997 who received funds that enabled her to study at Gallaudet University in Washington DC.
Prior to the merger with Expression Australia, the Scholarship program had been placed on hold. With great honour we are happy to announce the establishment once again of the Scholarship. In addition, we would like to expand the number of learning opportunities the funds may be used for.
To submit an application for a James Beam Scholarship, you can:
- Fill out the grant application form available here: James Beams Scholarship Application Form
- Fill out the James Beams Scholarship Referee Form (this is to be completed by at least 1 referee and is included in the application form)
- Or make an Auslan video of your application and email a link to your video to view or download (e.g. YouTube, dropbox)
- Use the subject line “James Beam Scholarship Application” in your email
Application close dates for 2019:
Email your James Beams Scholarship application form, or email the link to your Auslan video to firstname.lastname@example.org before the close of the round.
- The applicant must reside in Tasmania and have a Tasmanian address
- The intended purpose should support the applicant to learn, develop skills and experience an opportunity that will support them to be a leader in the Tasmanian Deaf Community
- Applicants must be 25 or younger at the time of the submission
Funded activities may include assistance in part, full or in-kind to participate in:
- Formal study at TAFE or university
- Professional development pertaining to the young persons’ career objectives
- Leadership programs, camps or opportunities
- Attendance at a conference, workshop or seminar; in Australia or abroad
- Additional applications not mentioned here but that are congruent with the goals of the fund and the eligibility criteria will be considered.