Deaf Central Portal Project
Vicdeaf is delighted to announce that Vicdeaf has been selected as a preferred provider for the NDIAs National Readiness Grant Round under the Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILC) Program.
Vicdeaf will receive almost $1.4M to develop and roll out a two-year national project called the ‘DeafCentral’ Portal Project. As the lead organisation for this important national initiative for the Australian Deaf Community, we will be working with all the other deaf societies across the nation.
The DeafCentral portal will:
- Be an interactive, online information, learning and referral portal that will guide Deaf and hard of hearing Australians, their families and mainstream organisations.
- Be in both English and Auslan, have an online learning platform where people can learn Auslan and explore the Deaf community, culture, learn about communication methodologies and management etc.
- Contain key factual information about deafness, hearing loss, available supports, recommended strategies to engage with and support Deaf and hard of hearing people throughout different life stages.
- Develop the capacity of mainstream providers to better understand the needs of Deaf and hard of hearing people
- Increase community inclusion through technology.
- Have a document translation service where Auslan users can submit complex documents online, with an Auslan translation available quickly.
- Have a live chat function where people can chat with staff in either Auslan or English in real time to receive information or referral services.
This will be an Australian first and Vicdeaf along with our Deaf Society partners is very excited to deliver this project and looks forward to improving access to information and services in innovative and relevant ways to the Deaf Community and to people who are hard of hearing.