Mansfield magnitude-5.8 earthquake
- Mansfield magnitude-5.8 earthquake shakes Melbourne, regional Victoria, southern NSW, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide and Launceston
- The three quakes measured 5.8, 4.0 and 3.1 in magnitude
- Apartment buildings were evacuated in inner-Melbourne, where damage to streets and roads was being posted to social media.
- Buildings have been damaged but there are no reported serious injuries.
- Experts say smaller aftershocks may continue to occur
Daniel Andrews has condemned yesterday’s protest.
- Dan Andrews has the "terrible behaviour" on display yesterday as the construction industry reacted to a snap two-week shutdown imposed overnight on Monday
- Thousands of protesters shouting anti-vaccination messages marched through Melbourne's CBD, as the construction industry reacted to a snap two-week shutdown imposed overnight on Monday.
- Police said the crowd numbered up to 2,000 people.
Australia has terminated a $90 billion deal with France.
- Australia has terminated a $90bn deal to buy 12 conventionally powered submarines from France.
- This deal was first arranged in 2016
- Australian officials had written to their French counterparts to say they were "satisfied" with how a $90 billion submarine deal was progressing on the same day it was announced the deal was being cancelled, France's defence ministry has claimed.
- Instead, it has teamed up in a new alliance with the UK and US, which will deliver nuclear-powered submarines
- France's defence ministry says it feels "cheated" and "blindsided" by Australia's decision