TERM ONE: Weekend Auslan (Sign Language) One @ LAUNCESTON
- Event Date
- February 15, 2020 - February 16, 2020
- 9:00am - 4:00pm Saturday and Sunday
- Expression Australia, 64 Cameron Street, Launceston
Learn the basics of Auslan, the Language of the Deaf community of Australia, in this intensive course. The same curriculum as our regular Auslan (Sign Language) One course is taught in just two days!
Auslan (Sign Language) One
- Your Auslan Teacher will be Deaf.
- You will be learning a visual language.
- Your Auslan Teacher will demonstrate how to sign and for you to follow.
- Classroom will not be based on auditory learning.
- You will receive a new handbook for each class.
- There is no assessment for this Auslan course.
- Class will run for 2 hours and you will get a 15 minutes break in between.
- Small activity/game on the new signs you have learnt. This can be in pairs or in a group activity.
You will learn expressive and receptive signing skills and practice every day signs for use in basic conversations with Deaf people. You will also learn about Deaf culture.
Auslan One Outline:
Week 1: The alphabets, finger spelling, numbers, introduction and greetings
Week 2: Revisit signs from week 1, age, time and months, frequently used signs
Week 3: Revisit signs from week 2, family, people and relationships, emotions
Week 4: Revisit signs from week 3, colours, foods and drinks, house
Week 5: Revisit signs from week 4, money, action/verbs, conversational
Week 6: Revisit signs from week 5, places, sport, recreation and hobby signs
In our practical and fun classes you will learn how to fingerspell, develop a vocabulary of basic conversational signs, learn how to structure a sentence and more.
Our Auslan classes are taught in an adult learning environment appropriate for those aged 16 years and above. Students aged 13-16 years old are welcome to attend along with a parent/guardian enrolment.
For more questions, you can visit our FAQs page - click here.
Please read our terms and conditions before enrolling, in particular to payments, withdrawals, deferrals and cancellations.
Please bring cash accompanied with printed email of ‘Event Registration’ and pay in person to Tasdeaf reception during business hours at 64 Cameron Street, Launceston, TAS 7250.