Comment Policy and Guidelines
We encourage readers to contribute to public discourse through our comments section on our website and on our Social Media pages. We take our responsibilities seriously and strive to ensure it is a civil and constructive debate.
Please help us to create an enlightened and intelligent discussion.
Below are guidelines that help inform our approach to comment moderation, and we expect participants to abide by. These guidelines apply across Vicdeaf websites and social media pages, however the context in which comments are made is also taken into consideration.
All comments are pre-moderated by staff before being published. It is Vicdeaf policy not to edit comments, but only to accept or refuse them.
As there are a large number of comments on this site every day, we can't enter into discussions with every individual about why comments were not published.
If you wish to report a comment that has been published and you feel is inappropriate, please contact us.
- We realise readers may feel strongly about the issues being debated, however any comments that can be reasonably considered offensive, threatening or obscene will not be allowed.
- Do not post material that may incite violence or hatred. We will not tolerate comments that humiliate others based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.
- We will acknowledge criticism of the articles or blogs we publish but persistent misrepresentation of Vicdeaf, or our authors will not be published.
- Gratuitous abuse - be it of the author, subjects of the story or other commentators - will not be accepted.
- The general rule here is that comments should not attack someone personally but be about the issue at hand.
- Any comments that are legally questionable, such as possible breaches of copyright or potentially defamatory material will not be posted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the discussion at hand.
- Comments that stray too far off topic, are largely repetitive or do not add anything to the debate will not be posted.
- Swear words are not permitted, including “leetspeak”.
- People who SHOUT, i.e. WRITE ALL IN CAPS, will not be allowed.
- Do not use the comments section for commercial purposes or spam.
- Comments that advertise, promote or solicit any goods or services will not be accepted.
- Please limit the use of links in comments. Comments containing links to unsuitable material will not be published.
- Comments must be in English so all readers can follow the discussion.
- Do not impersonate others in the comments section, or post personal details – phone numbers, postal or email addresses – that could inadvertently put someone in danger.
- Only submit your comment once.
- Comments do not appear instantly. Submitting multiple versions of the same comment will only slow down the process.
- You retain personal responsibility for the comment and we reserve the right not to accede to requests to remove it.
- There is a limit of 300 words (=3000 characters) on a single comment.
That's the plain English version. Here it is in legal language:
By posting any comments, posts or other material on the Vicdeaf website, you give Vicdeaf the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media. You also agree that you will not:
- Post material that infringes on the rights of any third party, including intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights.
- Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity as determined by Vicdeaf in its sole discretion.
- Post advertisements or solicitations of business.
- Post chain letters or pyramid schemes.
- Impersonate another person.
- Allow any other person or entity to use your identification for posting or viewing comments.
- Post the same note more than once or "spam."
Vicdeaf reserves the right (but is not obligated) to do any or all of the following:
- Remove communications that are abusive, illegal or disruptive, or that otherwise fail to conform to this policy.
- Terminate a user's access to the blog feature upon any breach of this policy.
- Edit or delete any communications posted on the blog feature, regardless of whether such communications violate these standards.
Finally, by posting a comment on the Vicdeaf website, you agree that you will indemnify Vicdeaf against any damages, losses, liabilities, judgments, costs or expenses (including legal fees and costs) arising out of a claim by a third party relating to any material you have posted.