Seeking expression of interest for new board members
Expression Australia is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from people who are suitable and willing to be considered for appointment to our Board of Directors.
A Little About Us
Expression Australia’s vision is to give all people who are Deaf and hard of hearing every opportunity to connect with and contribute to society. To have the freedom to develop in all aspects of life, in their language of choice and for our support to extend to their families. Expression Australia strives to achieve this vision through transformational services, by optimising new technologies, addressing inequality and driving social change.
Our purpose is to create opportunities for people who are Deaf and hard of hearing by delivering targeted services and affecting social change. We enable Deaf communities to flourish and are inclusive of all members of those communities irrespective of age or background.
Our Strategic Priorities
We have a strong strategic plan for the 2021-2024 with our core strategic priorities being:
- Advance our services: by delivering high quality services and support to people who are Deaf and hard of hearing, we create positive experiences and outcomes;
- Grow and develop our Deaf community: by actively supporting the growth of people who are Deaf and hard of hearing, we can create education and employment opportunities;
- Broaden our impact: by expanding our services and geographical footprint, we can reach more members of the Deaf and hard of hearing community;
- Deeper connection: by building trust, we will further strengthen our relationship with people with are Deaf and hard of hearing.
About our Board
The Expression Australia board is comprised of a number of directors with varying experience from for profit and not for profit sectors. The Board provides governance and strategic leadership to the organisation and invites and encourages a diverse and inclusive perspective from each board member. The board is responsible for:
- (a) Appointing and providing guidance and support to the CEO;
- (b) Providing input, guidance and participation in the development and execution of the Strategic Plan;
- (c) Providing alignment and accountability to the organisation in achieving the strategic objectives and priorities;
- (d) Being brand ambassadors for the organisation promoting the work and impact the organisation has for the Deaf and hard of hearing community.
Organisational and Board Structure
Expression Australia is a company limited by guarantee and is registered as the Victorian Deaf Society Ltd. The organisation also encompasses the Tasmanian Deaf Society Ltd and the Royal Tasmanian Deaf and Blind Association.
The CEO of the organisation is Nicky Long, the Chair of the Board is Demetrio Zema and the President of the organisation is Gavin Balharrie. The other current members of the board are Scott Phillips (Treasurer), Jamie Mead, Melissa Hale, Praveen Reddy and Irena Farrinaci.
Expression Australia has 130+ employees operating a variety of services across Victoria and Tasmania.
Role of a Board Member
In the position as Director of Expression Australia, you will be expected to:
- Participate in 7 board meetings per year and be an active contributor
- Participate in an annual strategy offsite
- Adhere to and execute your duties as a Director under the Corporations Act, the Expression
- Australia Constitution and the Board Terms of Reference
- Become a member of a sub-committee (FAR, NR, IC) and attend relevant meetings
In this position you have the opportunity to:
- Be an integral part of the evolution, development and expansion of Expression Australia as a community business and organisation;
- Guide, support and nurture the CEO and wider organisation striving to create positive impact and relationships with the Deaf and hard of hearing community;
- Assist the organisation in addressing any strategic challenges;
- Be an active contributor in assisting people who are Deaf and hard of Hearing to connect with and contribute to society in all aspects of their lives.
Term and Remuneration
Directors of Expression Australia are appointed for a three (3) year term at the Annual General Meeting following their appointment. There is a maximum term of three (3) re-appointments, being a cap of nine (9) years. Director positions are voluntary and there is no remuneration for your time invested in fulfilling the role of Director. Reasonable travel expenses will be covered if required.
Skills Matrix Needs
We are looking for up to three (3) new board members that can actively contribute and be part of our growth and to align themselves with our Strategic Plan. We are looking for new board members who cover at least 3 of the following areas:
- Deaf and hard of hearing community insight/knowledge (inc being a member of the community);
- Executive leadership
- Marketing and sales
- Disability and service delivery experience
- Human resources, people and culture
- Risk, governance and compliance
- Strategic planning and KPI’s
- Finance and accounting
- Investment and funds management
- Technology and IT systems
All EOI’s received will be treated confidentially by the Expression Australia CEO and Board. Please submit your EOI by providing an email and copy of your CV to email@example.com.
The Expression Australia Board Member EOI process will close on Friday 3 June 2022 and a decision will be communicated within eight weeks. It is expected appointed Board Members would be nominated at the August board meeting with attendance required at the October board meeting and AGM.